Privacy Notice for OPAL Services members 

Privacy Notice for OPAL Services members 

How we store, protect and use the information you give us.

This privacy notice is about how we use personal information about individuals. It applies to the information we hold about members who take part in the services we run.

Rural Community Services (West Cheshire) (RCS) run OPAL Services for older people in the rural areas of West Cheshire. We believe it’s important to protect your privacy and we are committed to giving you a personal service that meets your needs at the same time as protecting that privacy.

This notice explains how we’ll collect information about you and use it to give you a good service.

When you first get in touch

One of our organisers will contact you using the contact details you give to us and will discuss your requirements. If you decide to become a user of one of our services we will first ask you for your personal information relevant to the service you would like us to provide. We will ask you to complete and sign a consent form for us to use your personal information for the purposes of providing you with a service.

How we will use your information.

We may use your information to:

  • Give you the services you’ve asked for.
  • Help run and improve our services– ones we’ve provided before, now or in the future.
  • Create statistics which we may share with the organisations who commission our services.
  • Train our staff.
  • Get in touch with you about events that we think may be of interest to you. That could be by email, phone, text, multimedia message or another form of electronic communication if you have given us permission to do so.
  • We may also record any communications we have with you, like phone conversations and emails. This is just to make sure we are providing you with a good service and we are meeting our regulatory and legal responsibilities.
  • With your prior permission we may use photos we take of you and others to promote our services, for example in our annual report, on our website and on our social media pages.

How long we will keep your information.

We will keep your information for as long as we are providing you with an OPAL service. After that we will keep it for 6 years, or as long as is necessary for us to comply with our legal and contractual obligations.

How we will get in touch

We’ll use the contact information you’ve given us when we need to get in touch. One of our organisers may visit you at home but they will call you first to confirm that it is convenient. We might email you, give you a ring, send a text or use another form of electronic communication.

Sharing your information with others

RCS and its OPAL Services will not share your personal information with others without your permission, except in the event of an emergency or if there are strong concerns about your safety or wellbeing.

In order to provide you with a service, RCS may need your permission to share your data with our commissioners. Why? This is to meet our contractual obligations and to enable commissioners to monitor the delivery of the services provided across the whole of West Cheshire.

The information we have about you

You’re entitled to have a copy of the information we hold on you and you can have any inaccurate information corrected.  We will not charge for providing a copy of any information we hold about you. If you want us to provide this, get in touch with one of our local organisers or contact our Data Protection Officer at Rural Community Services (West Cheshire), P.O. Box 161, Whitchurch, SY13 9BG.

Protecting your information

We have procedures in place to ensure the security of your personal information. Your personal information will be made available only to the small number of staff and volunteers who need to know. We provide training for staff and volunteers to help them understand their obligations under the data protection regulations.

If you have a complaint about the way we use your information

You have a right to complain if you feel we are not using your information correctly. You can complain by speaking to an organiser or by writing to the RCS Data Protection Officer at: Rural Community Services (West Cheshire), P.O. Box 161, Whitchurch, SY13 9BG.

If you make a complaint to us and not satisfied with our response, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s office at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.

Further Information

If you’d like any more information, or you have comments or questions about our data protection or privacy procedures, please write to us at: Rural Community Services (West Cheshire), P.O. Box 161, Whitchurch, SY13 9BG.

Or phone our Administrator on 07851 214 163
Or email us at:  Email:

We may amend our data protection policy from time to time. You can email or write to us to ask for a copy.